The spring town series is running every 2 weeks (excluding the Sept/Oct school holidays) from the 17th of September to the 26th of November.
This will be a great opportunity to improve your skills and fitness.
We are holding a training session prior to the start of the series on Tuesday evening 12th September 7 to 8.30pm to help with town orienteering and rogaining techniques
and to familiarise ourselves with the Maprun app which we will be using for the series.
• Date - Tuesday 12th September
• Time - 7pm - 8.30pm
• Place - Taupo-Nui-a-Tia College - see map below for actual location
• All maps and marker pens etc supplied
This session will be facilitated by Tony Tinworth and Brendan Haigh and will
• Introduce you to the Maprun6 app (bring your smartphone) and go through the download, locations setting and use of the app for the town events.
• focus on understanding what you see on the map and relating it to your surroundings as well as some techniques for how to plan and navigate successfully using urban
and park style maps for both rogaines or on an orienteering line course.
• This will be a practical session using maps of previous urban style rogaines and orienteering line courses suitable for all skill levels from beginners and the basics
with family teams to experienced.
Event centre: Taupo-Nui-a-Tia College, Room N4 (Backdoor)
RSVP by Monday 11th September email number of participants to
• Venue: - Control Gates
• Event info: - Spring Town Series 2023 - Event 1
- Electronic timing using MapRun on your smartphone
• Registration: -
Online before Thursday, 14th September, 11:59pm
We will only have a limited number of on-the-day entries available and a $5 On-the-Day fee will be added to these entries
• Entry Fees: includes 1 copy of the map
- Individuals $7 for club members and $12 for non-members
- Teams (2 to 5 people) $12 for members and $17 for non-members
- Extra maps of any of the courses are $3 each for members and $6 for non-members
- (You could do middle, long and rogaine later if you want or have more than one map for your team)
• Start times: - between 10:00am and 11:00am
The MapRun app will be active until 6pm Saturday, 14th October in case you can't make it on Sunday or like to do another course later.
Order extra maps with your entry online!!
• What to bring: compass (unless you can tell where north is when the sun isn't out), A4 plastic bag for the map and a charged phone with MapRun installed
• Course options: 2 set courses and a rogaine either on foot or bike
FL: Foot Long
FM: Foot Middle
F90: Foot Rogaine 90 minutes
F60: Foot Rogaine 60 minutes
ML: MTB Long
MM: MTB Middle
M60: MTB Rogaine 60 minutes
For further information contact Brendan on 021 058 2042 or email
Event centre: Control Gates car park
© Copyright 2022 - Taupo Orienteering Club - All rights reserved.